Yan’an University is the first comprehensive university named by Comrade Mao Zedong himself and founded by the Communist Party of China. Currently, it is a university jointly established by the Shaanxi Provincial People’s Government and the Ministry of Education, a high-level construction university in Shaanxi Province, and an admissions college in Shaanxi Province.
In 1941, the Political Bureau of the CPC Central Committee decided to merge Northern Shaanxi Public School, China Women’s University, and Zedong Youth Cadre School to form Yan’an University, with Wu Yuzhang as its president. Later, Yan’an Lu Xun Academy of Arts and Letters, College of Natural Sciences, College of Nationalities, New Character Cadre School, School of Administration, etc. were successively incorporated. In 1947, some teachers and students of Yan’an University went to Northeast China, North China and Northwest China to run schools. In July 1958, the People’s Government of Shaanxi Province decided to rebuild Yan’an University. In 1998, Yan’an Medical College, Yan’an People’s Hospital, and Yan’an University merged to form the new Yan’an University, which was listed as a provincial key university in Shaanxi Province. In 2005, the school was listed as the Yan’an University jointly established by the Shaanxi Provincial People’s Government and the Ministry of Education, and in 2011 it was listed as a high-level construction university in Shaanxi Province.
Yan’an University currently has 15,234 undergraduates, 1,892 graduate students, 1,527 faculty and staff, and 922 full-time teachers; it has 18 secondary departments, 1 independent college and 10 affiliated hospitals, and 16 primary disciplines Master’s degree authorization points, 61 undergraduate majors, 6 provincial superiority and characteristic disciplines, 2 provincial first-class disciplines, 9 professional degree authorization categories, 1 humanities and social sciences key research base of the Ministry of Education, 1 National Tourism Administration Tourism innovation development research base, 9 provincial scientific research platforms, 2 provincial innovation teams, 6 academician workstations.
More than 80 years after the establishment of the school, the development of Yan’an University has been highly valued and cared for by the leaders of the party and state and all walks of life.
Yan’an University organized the implementation of the “Four Projects and Two Plans” for undergraduate teaching. Twelve undergraduate majors were listed as provincial “first-class majors” construction and cultivation projects, and 445 classroom teaching reform projects and 313 asset education programs were established. , Students won more than 1,000 competitions in various disciplines, and more than 570 national and provincial venture projects. The one-time employment rate of undergraduates remained above 90% , the best in province.
Yan’an University is the center of spreading the Yan’an spirit in the new era. The school adheres to the Yan’an spirit as the foundation of the school, educates the soul, and comprehensively advances the “one body and two wings” Yanan spirit education. The school relies on the national ideological and political work team training and training center, national college students’ cultural quality education base, the national youth revolutionary traditional education base, the party school training base of the Ministry of Education, the patriotic education base of Shaanxi Province, the Yan’an spiritual education base of college students, etc. The base established the “Dongdong University” and “Zedong Cadre College”, and carried out a variety of patriotic education activities for nearly 100,000 young people and cadres from all over the country.
Application fee 1,000 RMB (Approx. 150 U$D) Non-Refundable after issuance of Admission Letter.
Yan’an city, northern Shaanxi sheng (province), north-central China. It became famous as the wartime stronghold of the Chinese communists from the mid-1930s to 1949. Yan’an is on the heavily dissected Loess Plateau, which consists of loess (windblown soil) that is deeply etched by gullies. The city stands on the south bank of the Yan River in a basin surrounded by hills. It is a road junction for northeast Shaanxi and was a strategic town in historical times, being located near the border between the part of Shaanxi where agriculture is practicable and the arid lands to the north that merge into the Ordos Plateau.
The name Yan’an was first given to the commandery (district controlled by a commander) set up there in 607 CE by the Sui dynasty (581–618). It was a vital frontier post under the Tang dynasty (618–907). It served as part of the defenses of the Song dynasty (960–1279) against the northwestern Xi (Western) Xia dynasty (1038–1227) and was the scene of a crucial victory by Mongol armies over the forces of the Jin (Juchen) dynasty in 1221. Since the 15th century the importance of the area has declined. It was badly affected by Muslim uprisings of 1864–75; by droughts and famines of the 1870s, which decimated the population; and by the almost equally disastrous droughts of the 1920s and ’30s, which depopulated whole counties in the area.
The contemporary city itself is a relatively minor place. The original walled settlement was ruined by Japanese bombing in 1938–39. Yan’an is at the centre of a district that has suffered seriously from soil erosion but which has begun to be reclaimed as part of the vast scheme for the development of the Huang He (Yellow River) drainage region. The surrounding area has been increasingly devoted to livestock, and the town has a long-established woolen textile industry.
The communist armies, driven from their bases in the Jiangxi Soviet areas by the Chinese Nationalist Party (Kuomintang) in 1934, eventually reached Yan’an after their epic 6,000-mile (9,600-km) Long March (1934–35). They made the town their headquarters during the Sino-Japanese War (1937–45) and during the subsequent civil war that brought communist victory in 1949. Yan’an has thus come to represent a symbol of the heroic phase of the Chinese communist revolution, when the leadership of Mao Zedong was firmly established and the communists mastered both guerrilla warfare and the peasant-based reform policies that were to bring them to power in 1949. Remote Yan’an stands as a national shrine for the communist government, which recalls the spirit and example of its pioneer period.
The whole area lies in a rich coal- and oil-bearing plain. Oil was discovered at Yanchang about 22 miles (35 km) to the east early in the 20th century, and a small amount was produced in the 1930s. The oil field has been further developed since 1949 but still remains small. Nonetheless, oil production and coal mining have become mainstays of the city’s economy, along with cigarette making and the generation of electric power.
At Yan’an Ershilipu Airport, the summers are long, warm, and partly cloudy and the winters are short, freezing, snowy, and mostly clear. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 11°F to 83°F and is rarely below 2°F or above 92°F.